Saturday, April 30, 2011

Star Swiss Enchiladas




These are known as Enchilada Suizas or Green Chile Enchiladas. It has a green (white) sauce instead of a red sauce. I think Swiss cheese is used in some recipes. I didn't take a picture, instead I looked for a similar one on the internet. This is my mom's recipe and she makes them casserole style in an 8x8 pan.

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked shredded chicken
1 (4.5 oz) can chopped green chiles
1 tsp salt
1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese
1 (10 oz ) can green chile enchilada sauce
1 (5 oz ) can evaporated milk or heavy cream
12 corn tortillas
Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Green onions, chopped
Cilantro

Directions:

MIX chicken, chiles, salt, and cream cheese.

COMBINE enchilada sauce and evaporated milk/heavy cream.

SPREAD chicken mixture in each tortilla and place in 9x13 pan. (It makes 8 enchiladas.)

POUR enchilada sauce mixture on top.

SPRINKLE cheese and green onions on top.

BAKE at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Serve with sour cream, guacamole, refried beans, chips and salsa.

Gina's Tips:

I thought this might be too spicy for my kids but I think because I added the cream cheese to my mom's recipe it made it creamy and less spicy. They didn't even notice the green chiles in it either. I used heavy cream instead of evaporated milk. I had a 16 oz can of green chile enchilada sauce and 1 cup of heavy cream. I used flour tortillas too. You can add cilantro if you wish.


ALTERNATE METHOD:

Soften tortillas, place in microwave with wet paper towel, then place on bottom of 8x8 baking pan.

Spread chicken mixture and sprinkle some cheese on top.

Layer more tortillas, then pour enchilada sauce and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment