Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chocolate Cheesecake


I thought I'd start this month out with my all time favorite dessert—CHEESECAKE! I have always LOVED this dessert. I have tried many different types of recipes: Reese's peanut butter, New York, Rocky Road, cookie cheesecake cups…the one I make the most often is chocolate cheesecake. If you have any other cheesecake recipe types send them over because I would love to try more.


Ingredients:


Crust:

12 graham cracker squares, crushed fine

¼ cup melted butter

½ cup sugar


Filling:

1 (8 oz) pkg cream cheese

½ cup sugar

2 eggs, well beaten

1 tsp vanilla

¼ cup chocolate chips, melted


Topping:

¼ cup chocolate chips, melted


Directions:


MIX graham cracker crumbs, butter and sugar. Put into 6 oz cake pan or 9x9 inch baking dish.


CREAM cheese until soft. Add rest of ingredients, except chocolate chips. Blend with electric beater until mixed well. Then add melted chocolate chips and blend with beater again until mixed in.


POUR over crumb mixture. DO NOT put on topping until done baking.


BAKE at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until settled and springy to the touch in center. Let cool and then chill for 2 or more hours.


TOP with melted chocolate chips and chill for a few minutes then serve.


Gina's Tips


I use a store bought 6 oz graham cracker crust; the regular or chocolate both taste delicious. You can make this the night before or even freeze it. The more chilled it is the better. You can put the topping on right after it comes out of the oven if you like and then refrigerate it. When it comes out of the oven I give it a shake to see if it is settled enough. As long as it doesn't move too much it's done. For the chocolate chips (including the topping) I really just use as much as I want; I never measure it. If you love chocolate add more, if you don't add less. Some decent substitutes for the topping are Baker's dipping chocolate (the best) or hard chocolate shell.

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU... for understanding what cheesecake is! I'm a cheesecake snob and can't stand it when people whip up some cream cheese and whipped topping or pudding or other such nonsense and call it "cheesecake". People, you must BAKE cheesecake and Gina has done me proud. I might have to give this one a go.

    Please, if you post a "cheesecake" recipe that does not need to be cooked, add the word "nobake" in the title so I know what I'm getting into. There is a time and place for this stuff (like in the summer when I don't want to turn on my oven!) and I appreciate a good nobake pie, but let's differenciate, kay?!

    Yes, I have issues. (ask Bill)

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMALICIOUS!!! I had to use the chocolate shell 'cuz my chocolate chips were old and didn't melt very well. Don't ask why I had the shell, I don't know, probably a pregnancy ice cream purchase.

    ReplyDelete