Friday, March 5, 2010

Chicken & Pinto Tostadas

Prep Time:
20 min

Total Time:

8 hours 20 min

Makes:

12 servings (2 tostadas each)

My sister April fed this to me and my family a long time ago and I got hooked on it. I cook it at least once a month. It is a Betty Crocker meal for the crock pot. It is ridiculously easy and my kids always ask for seconds. Whenever Joran sees what I have made he says "Yay…tostadas!" If you know Joran, this does not happen often. It must be good if he is excited about eating it. I adapted the recipe because I like to double it.


Ingredients:

4-6 chicken breasts (boneless, skinless)

1 cup thick n' chunky salsa
½ cup water
2 Tbsp taco seasoning mix (1.25 oz package)
1 can (15 oz) pinto beans, drained
Lettuce
Sour cream
Guacamole

Directions:


PLACE chicken in slow cooker.

MIX salsa, water, and taco seasoning in small bowl; pour over chicken.

COVER and cook on Low setting for 8 to 10 hours.

REMOVE chicken from cooker and place in bowl or on cutting board. Using 2 forks, pull into shreds. Return chicken to cooker.


STIR in beans. Increase heat setting to High. Cover; cook 15 to 20 minutes.


SERVE chicken mixture over tostada shells. Top with lettuce, sour cream, and guacamole.


Gina's Tips


I place as much chicken as fits on the bottom of my crock pot. If you halve the recipe, the amount of taco seasoning mix remains the same. I did not double that part. I use my Mom's simple and tasty guacamole recipe. I will post it soon with a picture. It is one whole avocado, about a Tbsp of sour cream, and garlic salt to taste.

1 comment:

  1. i'm going to try this tonight!!! looks SOOO GOOD!! i also want to try the oreo truffles ... and ... EVERYTHING ELSE!!! thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete