Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Irish Soda Bread


Happy St. Patrick's Day! My Mom and my sisters came over this morning to watch a movie with me. I answered the door with my leprechaun hat on and I said "oh, me lucky day. Go in and get a pot-o-gold." I had mini pots with two Andes mints inside for everybody. I also made some Irish soda bread.

Prep Time:
15 min
Total Time:
1 hr 15 min
Makes
16 servings, 1 wedge each
Ingredients:
3-1/4 cups flour
1/3 cup plus 1 Tbsp sugar, divided
1 tsp Baking Powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) cold butter
1-1/3 cups buttermilk
1/2 cup currants or raisins
Directions:

PREHEAT oven to 350°F. Mix flour, 1/3 cup of the sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add buttermilk and raisins; mix just until moistened. 

PLACE dough on floured surface; knead 10 times. Shape into round loaf, 2-1/2 inches thick. Place on greased baking sheet. Cut deep 1/2-inch "X" in top of dough. Sprinkle with remaining 1 Tbsp sugar. 

BAKE 1 hour or until golden brown. Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into 16 wedges to serve.

Gina's Tips
I sprinkled brown sugar on top of the loaf before baking it rather than regular granulated sugar. I think the next time I bake it I will add some honey and brown sugar to the recipe to sweeten it. Maybe I'll substitute the raisins with pecans or chocolate chips. It was really good with butter on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment