Saturday, August 8, 2009

Oven-Fried Chicken


A few days ago I was at my friend April’s house and I saw a coupon flyer for KFC and I said “oh…that looks good.” Right away she said she had a good recipe for Oven-Fried Chicken. It was from her Betty Crocker cookbook. That night I made it (chicken finger style) and the kids loved it—it was “finger lickin’ good.” Of course what is fried chicken without the corn on the cob and rolls with butter and honey to go with it? So we had those too. Yum! (The scanned picture of the dish didn’t turn out so well so I found a similar picture.)

Prep Time:
10 min
Total Time:
1 hr 10 min
Makes:
6 servings

Ingredients:

¼ cup butter
½ cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp pepper
3-3 ½ pounds cut-up broiler-fryer chicken

Directions:

HEAT oven to 425 degrees. Melt butter and put in 13x9 inch pan.

MIX flour, paprika, salt and pepper. Coat chicken with flour mixture. Place chicken, skin sides down, in pan.

BAKE uncovered 30 minutes. Turn chicken; bake an additional 30 minutes.

Alternative that is great for kids.

Chicken Fingers: Substitute 1 ½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut crosswise into 1 ½ inch strips. Decrease butter to 2 Tbsp. After coating chicken with flour mixture, toss with melted butter in pan. Bake uncovered 15 minutes. Turn strips; bake an additional 10-15 minutes.
Gina's Tips
I made this dish as chicken fingers (boneless/skinless) and I thought it could have used a little bit more salt. Maybe the broiler-fryer chicken keeps the coating on thicker so it might not have that problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment